Mums who work. Mums who don't.

I'm a stay at home Mum. That 'title' makes me cringe. It screams lazy, spoilt, stuck up and too good to work. That's what I always thought before I had a baby. Oh she's a stay at home Mum is she? Well isn't she lucky. Her husband must pay for everything and she's obviously walking around in the latest designer clothes and lunches all the time with her friends.

Sadly, not true in this case. It would be nice.

I've noticed, just lately, a lot of negative energy towards Mums (and Dads) that don't work. Whether they're taking a career break (in my case) or just aren't going back to work until the child starts school, or even at all, what does it matter? We're all Mums (and Dads) together, right? Shouldn't we be supporting one another?

I have friends who have children who work: part-time and full-time. Some because they have to, some because they want to. And I have a ton of respect for them. I have a ton of respect for all Mums. We do such a hard job and we should all pull together, not bitch like we're back in the playground.

It would appear there seems to be some sort of working Mums club and if you don't work, you're not allowed in. I've found this to be the case in the real world and in the Twitter world. And it isn't just me that thinks it too. Shame on you, Mamas.

So how about we drop the bullshit 'I'm better than you because I work and you're obviously a stuck up rich Mum or just plain lazy' act and give us a break, yeah? We're all Mums (and Dads) together.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you hun. Ive had it both ways. When K was at Nursery I worked, I worked a lot! & couldnt always do the nursery pick ups.The other mums were critical of me & we were always excluded from their gatherings etc. This time round i gave up my previous career & started on a new journey working from home. I now get comments from previous colleagues (and mums to) on how lucky i am to be a lady that lunches etc. Ive now decided to live in my own world & not worry about it, as people will ALWAYS find something to say. I will however offer my support to anyone who needs it, as i know just how hard being a mum (either way) can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great idea, I'm going to do exactly that - live in my own world! I don't care what people say about my situation, I did but I gave up because it was too upsetting. I just hate how other Mums can be so mean! x

      Delete
  2. It's really sad that there is working mums vs stay at home mums. As you know, I do a few hours a week, but in my opinion I'm the worst kind of mum because I do it for selfish reasons, I go mental if I don't get that time away from baby and domesticity to concentrate on something else. The fact I'm earning money doing it is a happy bonus.

    You're so right though, whichever way we do parenting its bloody hard and we should be in it together, not against one another xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make you the worst kind of mum. As Mothers, we need to be selfish otherwise we'd completely lose our sense of self. I'm selfish with Lil and if I wasn't I just KNOW I'd be in the nut house! But yes, we should all stick together.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you. I work two days a week, and do a lot of freelance work, mainly cause I want to and partly cause I like having a bit of money thats my own. However I would never ever disrespect another Mum for having different choices to me. I have noticed the twitter sniping, and that makes me cross. We are all entitled to our own opinion but should keep in mind we are all mama's together. Grr rant over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree. I always used to judge Mothers before I had Lil, I don't know why. I just think most of the time we are programmed to. But since having her, I don't do it anymore. I know how testing it is for everyone and each Mother has a reason behind every choice she makes. Mama's together, no bullshit.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you, I hate that people look down at me because I stay at home with Josh. But as for designer clothes and being a kept woman?! HAHA! I sacrifice having money to stay with my son so your most likely to find me wearing primark clothes and have holes in my socks (not quite but visualisation here!) so to all those who think I'm kept, I'm really not!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed. Way too much hating on stay at home and go to work mums. I'll be working from home so I guess I straddle both. Seems to me, being a parent is touch enough and people should be more supportive and less bitchy. A girl can dream right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the last thing I'm thinking. I see being a stay at home mum as such an incredibly difficult task. You must be so patient, and understanding for your child's needs. I have no idea where these stuck up people are, who comment negatively, but I'm so happy I don't have to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete