Oh tit off.

Breast is best, breast is best.

Oh is it now?

I understand that breast milk is best for your baby and I appreciate that but it isn't always best for the lady.

When I was pregnant I was adamant that I wouldn't breast feed so my husband could share the night feeds with me and to be honest, I didn't really want to flop my droopy boobs out every two hours. I was being selfish.

But laying there drugged up to the eyeballs, waiting for Lilian to arrive, I changed my mind. That is, until I had my stomach cut open.

The pain I felt after I'd had her hit me a few hours after the epidural wore off. I was told I could start breastfeeding later that day. I changed my mind again. Barely able to walk, think, pick up my daughter... How the hell was I going to cope with her attached to my breast? It was final, formula milk all the way.

The day I arrived home I was in a lot of pain. I was only allowed to take paracetamol and paracetamol couldn't touch me. The health visitor did her rounds and asked me if I'd consider breastfeeding and I really wanted to say yes but I just couldn't go through any more pain. I was finding it hard to move around and climbing the stairs was a nightmare. Sitting up in bed was near impossible. I just couldn't say yes and it broke my heart.

I admire any woman that breast feeds. It's a wonderful thing, so intimate. What I don't admire are busybodies that have only had natural births and preach to the world that women should breast feed and that you're a failure if you don't. Stop being so bloody ignorant. There are hundreds of reasons why woman can't breastfeed and if they choose not to for purely selfish reasons, so what? They've spent the last nine months doing one of the most selfless things possible.

Give the formula feeding Mums a break. What happened to the sisterhood?

You should be supporting other Mothers, not giving them grief.




4 comments:

  1. I'll second that! Well put :)

    Don't believe that it's just Mums that formula feed that get the stick, oh no, regular breast feeding Mum's just trying their best also get picked on!

    Whilst I didn't experience a c-section I had different pains due to medical incompetence and broken tail bone meaning that I couldn't care for my baby at all. I didn't want to breastfeed but for me it was the only thing I could do for my babe so I did it.

    I actually breastfed for 8 months but also supplemented with bottles, as you say, as a way to share the night feeds with my husband. Boy did I get some stick in the early days! Whilst asking for advice as was told that giving a baby a bottle would mean that she wouldn't breastfeed and that I'd lose my supply. B******t! She still loved breastfeeding in the day and my supply did dwindle at night but it didn't matter, I wasn't up feeding her anyway!

    Mixing bottle with breast was what worked out best for me and consequently baby. She didn't have a Mum that was knackered and she was happy. That's what counts more than anything, happy baby and happy Mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me mad how people judge when they have no idea! All that matters is you and LM are happy xxxx

      Delete
  2. Well said. And thanks for sharing. I am soon to be a mum and hope to breast feed but am still struggling with the whole concept! It's good to hear your candid opinion/experience. Screw those who judge.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Juliet. Don't let anyone pressure you in to anything, if you struggle with it then you have to do what you feel is best for you. It's amazing how tiny babies can pick up on stress and upset. May you have a happy and peaceful labour and birth. Keep us posted! lots of love xxxx

      Delete