(almost) Sugar free banana bread.

Banana bread is a winner in this house but it never lasts longer than twenty four hours. It's the perfect stodge for these ridiculous winter days but every one I've baked so far, while tasty, is very sweet. I'm trying to cut down on sugar so I googled sugar free banana bread. Dire results. Don't want none of that wholewheat shit, not just yet.

So I took this recipe and adapted it.

285g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
110g butter
1 tbsp honey
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
85ml semi skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small packet of chocolate buttons

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
Add bicarbonate soda to flour.
Cream butter and eggs, add honey.
Pour dry mixture into wet and add mashed bananas and milk.
Add chocolate buttons and fold.
Grease loaf tin (I used 8x5) and pour mixture in.

Bake for an hour-ish. Stick a knife in and if the cake doesn't wobble like jelly it's probably done. The knife will always come out smeared because there is mashed banana in the cake. I find it's all about trial and error. Or something.

For me, this was sweet enough. Nowhere near as sweet as the original recipe (I've baked this before) but it's just right. No pictures because it looks like shit (slightly too brown) but trust me on the taste.

You're welcome.


2 comments:

  1. I love banana bread too and have started making a great banana and walnut version which is kind of sweet but amazing (I just tend to put a little less sugar in than the recipe says but can send the recipe if you're interested) BUT the reason I'm commenting is that if you want nice cake without all the sugar then you should make the Cbeebies banana bread recipe from I Can Cook - 1) it's a kids recipe so ridiculously easy and 2) it's not too sweet as, again, it's meant for kids. (I'm trying to cut down on sugar too - did you read the same article in the Sunday Times on the weekend?! Day three of quitting sugar in my tea, going ok!) The recipe is:
    1 ripe banana
    3 dessert spoons sunflower oil plus a little for greasing
    50g golden caster sugar
    110g plain flour
    1 level teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    3 rounded dessert spoons of raisins
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Cook at 180 degrees for 30-35 mins (until golden). It's not a massive cake but quick and easy and nice. You can even cut the sugar back to 45g i find without too much bother. I usually just use self raising flour instead of plain and baking powder and skip the raisins as my 4 yr old won't eat them (or at least she won't eat them at home, the raisins at nursery are different, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thanks, I'm gonna try this today!

    ReplyDelete