Books.

I've always been 'bookish'. I was above the top group in reading at primary school (not boasting) and I got told off quite a lot for finishing the book just as we were starting it in English class at Secondary school. I always had so much to say and nobody else other than the teacher knew what I was on about as the others had only just started reading whatever book we were on. I found it hard to be interested in any other subject at school (apart from boys) if it wasn't English Literature.

Words have been my thing for as long as I can remember. Writing and reading. I'd pick out inspirational quotes from books I'd read and write them down on post it notes. I got the piss taken out of me for this from supposed friends during years eight and nine, so I stopped being inspired, stopped eating and started gobbing off to teachers (because books weren't cool, the rest was).

Luckily, I ditched those friends and carried on reading once I'd left school. It's better to read than be 'cool', and anyway... reading is what makes you cool. I'm pretty sure that makes me WAY cooler than some of the losers I used to hang around with.

But I digress.

I didn't bother with university. It wasn't for me. Instead, I carved out my career in the creative industry. I still read books but instead of words, images were now my thing. The industry I worked in had no place for words. Eight years later, I left that all behind to have a baby. I tried to get back in to books but as any mother knows, it's hard to read with a newborn/baby/toddler and when there are a shit ton of other more important things to do like wash/eat/clean.

And now, here I am. About to embark to an amazing journey full of books and words and writing. In February, I start a degree in English Literature. Just this morning, while I was reading Jack and The Flum Flum Tree to Lil for the seventh time, I had a 'WHAT THE FUCK' moment. What the hell am I doing? Going to university at the age of twenty seven with a nineteen month old? Sometimes I don't even have time to breathe, let alone read and write. How am I going to cope? It passed, of course. But this morning it became real. I'm going back to school!

This time, however, I'll be surrounded by people who love books and words and writing. And those people, like me, will be cool.

15 comments:

  1. Yaaaay! So excited for you, and can totally relate to being a book nerd in school and therefore not very popular. You'll cope because it'll push you to get even more organised and routined, besides it'll be something you love, it's always easier doing things you love! Good luck to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And you know you're one of the reasons why I'm doing it x

      Delete
  2. Yay ! Delighted for you. Can relate to always having your head in a book at school. I studied English in college and loved it, you will too. I think a love of reading is an amazing gift to give to your children. Would love some details on what books Lil likes as am currently sick of our current selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have posted a few of Lil's favourites. Maybe we should start an online toddler book club!

      Delete
  3. Don't worry about the small stuff, because you love books you will make it work. I did an English Lit degree with the Open University a few years back (because of my love of books). It was brilliant, a hard slog sometimes but well worth it. I hope you really enjoy it and plus who needs to eat/wash/clean anyway, so over rated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one I'm doing! How was it? Honestly?

      Delete
    2. It's challenging to start with, coping with having to write essays again and keeping up with the course work on your own but it gets easier (or more manageable). Once you get the hang of reading all the course books and get them out of the way it helps (do this before the start of your course if you can as otherwise you spend all your time playing catch up). It's tough when life gets in the way but once you are organised and set yourself study times at home as it helps to know when you should hit the books. It's good if you can attend the study sessions arranged by the OU and have contacts within your group (also online forum helps)for when you haven't got a clue about what is being asked of you. If nothing else, it's helpful to know that others are also finding it tough. Saying all that, it couldn't have been that bad because I'd do it again in a heartbeat - and now want to do an MA in Literature. Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay in itself!

      Delete
  4. Ahh I'm so jealous! Immersing yourself in all the intelligence... please tell me some of it when we get together to stop be going stupid with the amount of baby info I have to ingest. You will be brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pahahahaha. You're way cleverer than me, especially in wine studies...

      Delete
  5. Wow! Good luck! I'm sure you will be amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Charlotte! I'm so jealous, I would love to go back and study so much...not quite sure what yet, but would still love to all the same. Being at university around like minded people is so good for your soul, pushing yourself and being inspired! And to have that separation doing something you love, but at the same time knowing you have an amazing little girl to go home to at the end of the day will be a great balance. Hopefully!

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a scary thought. But I want to inspire Lil so hopefully this will do the trick plus I'll be better read which is one of the main reasons I'm doing it. xxx

      Delete