9 months 9 tips

Even though I can't say I'm a pro at this pregnancy business (unless you want to call me a pro at moaning about it) I do have plenty of advice for those who are doing it for the first time or for those who have ridiculous baby brain and have forgotten (it's only just coming back to me now). So I thought I'd write up 9 tips for 9 months, although they aren't for any month in particular but for your entire pregnancy.

Ask for help...

If you're exhausted and the ironing pile is taller than you, don't be afraid to ask someone to help you out. Your partner, your mum, a friend. The worst they can say is no and let's be honest, who would dare say no to a ragey pregnant woman? You're going to need to get used to asking for (and accepting) help because once this baby comes along you will need all the help you can get. Whether it's with chores, cooking or watching the baby for twenty minutes while you go and cry in a hot shower because you're so exhausted.

Always have snacks and a book in your bag (as well as your maternity notes)...

You'll find your appointments with your midwife / consultant / sonographer won't always be on time and you can bet your bottom dollar your phone signal will be rubbish (no perusing the gossip pages of the Daily Fail... who me? NEVER) so it pays to have a book and some snacks in your bag. The book I'm currently (re) reading is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

If you don't feel well or as though something isn't right, call your midwife...

You'll soon learn to go with your gut, it's my top tip for new mamas. You know your body just like you will get to know your baby. If something doesn't feel right, it might not be. And your midwife and maternity triage unit are there to help you. If it turns out everything is fine, you're wasting nobodies time and it will save on anxiety in the long run. I've been up to my maternity triage unit three times now and they were so friendly and reassuring, it's their job to be there for you during your pregnancy.

Treat yourself...

I really need to practise what I preach on this one. When your baby gets here you turn into this crazy person who will do everything for their child and nothing for themselves. Trust me. Take this time before their arrival to have pedicures and massages, take long soaks in the bath and read books at your leisure. Plan a weekend away to the country or a spa. Go for long lunches. Shit gets crazy after month 9 and you will never be the same again.

Nap...

During the first 12 weeks I did this, even with a four year old and even though I am not a fan of napping (makes me feel gross after). I set up lots of activities, snacks, dvds and recorded all her favourite programmes and taught her how to find them on the planner and snoozed on the sofa for an hour. If you need to nap, do it. Cancel your plans and sleep, your body is working so hard and the least you can do to help it along is sleep if you need (or want) to. As I get heavier and slower I can see those naps coming back, it's not being lazy... it's looking after yourself.

Take photos...

Of your growing body. I didn't do this with my first pregnancy, I wasn't a fan of my changing shape, and I regret it. This time it's a different story, I'm pretty sure I've bored off half of my instagram followers. But it's a special time and who knows if I'll do it again (head: no, heart: yes) so I'm embracing the photos and the changes. It'll be great to look back on.

Don't go batshit crazy buying stuff...

That £30 babygrow you just can't stop looking at? Your baby will grow out of it in a week and you'll kick yourself. Save all the expensive stuff for when they're older. Read this post about what to buy (and what you really don't need to bother with).

Eat...

I'm not advocating stuffing your face (although it's what got me through the horrific morning sickness period) but I'm also not saying you should starve yourself. Nourish your body, give it what it wants (unless thats dirty potatoes to suck on). Craving chocolate? Give in. Nobody likes a preggo bore who only eats salad and vegetables (although lucky you if your cravings aren't stodge based). Carbs, sugar (although let's practise moderation here.... practice what you preach Charlotte), meat... if it's what you fancy then have it. Don't deprive yourself, that'll only make you rage even harder.



Look after your skin...

While you might not be able to control the random white hair sprouting out of your cheekbone (that's not just me, right???) or the fact that you will not be able to control your dark circles, it really does pay to look after your skin, especially during pregnancy. I had crazy skin during the first trimester so set about reading this blog for hours on end and changing my skincare routine and it worked. Drinking a shit ton of water helped too. But trust me, this woman knows skincare and pregnancy.


That's 9 right? Yes, that's 9. Brainache. There are hundreds more, of course... I just can't remember them right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment